Functional Materials and Surfaces 6 credits
Course ContentsThe course treats surface finishing as part of product development, and introduces industrial processes and the most important process parameters that define properties of functional surfaces. Sustainability aspects related to surface coating industry are discussed. Computer simulation in combination with experimental methods is introduced as a tool for improving quality of electrodeposits.
The course covers the following topics:
- Introduction to surface engineering of components including castings.
- Overview of surface treatment processes and factors affecting the process selection, on examples of electroplating, anodizing and electro-polishing.
- Analysis techniques for surface characterization (e.g. hardness and thickness measurements).
- Electroplating of metals, including fundamentals of electrochemistry and thermodynamics, and applications of FEA as a design tool for electroplating process.
- Sustainability aspects including cleaner production measures, environment protection directives and industrial safety aspects, test and qualification standards.
PrerequisitesPassed courses 180 credits in first cycle, at least 90 credits within the major subject Mechanical Engineering, and 21 credits Mathematics, and completed course Materials and Design, 6 credits, and English Language requirements corresponding to English 6 or English B in the Swedish upper secondary school
Level of Education: Master A1F
Course code/Ladok code: TFYS27
The course is conducted at: School of Engineering
Previous and ongoing course occasions
Type of courseProgram
SemesterSpring 2018: Jan 15 - Mar 25
Rate of Study100%
Course coordinatorCaterina Zanella
Tuition fees do NOT apply for EU/EEA citizens or exchange students12600kr