Search toggle

Pictures of the past

The foundry building from 1914, drawn by the architect Magnus Steensdorff. The building, which now houses the university library, was a part of the industrial area, JMW, between 1859-1992. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

The foundry building from 1914, drawn by the architect Magnus Steensdorff. The building, which now houses the university library, was a part of the industrial area, JMW, between 1859-1992. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

Picture from the end of the 1900s showing a JMW employee and a steam boiler. Initially, JMW mainly manufactured mouldings, e.g. machine elements, railings, and household utensils like pots and coffee burners. Eventually, the business expanded to include other products, like steam boilers, which was an important product in those days. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

Picture from the end of the 1900s showing a JMW employee and a steam boiler. Initially, JMW mainly manufactured mouldings, e.g. machine elements, railings, and household utensils like pots and coffee burners. Eventually, the business expanded to include other products, like steam boilers, which was an important product in those days. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

Picture from the end of the 1900s showing a JMW employee and a steam boiler. Initially, JMW mainly manufactured mouldings, e.g. machine elements, railings, and household utensils like pots and coffee burners. Eventually, the business expanded to include other products, like steam boilers, which was an important product in those days. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

Picture from the end of the 1900s showing a JMW employee and a steam boiler. Initially, JMW mainly manufactured mouldings, e.g. machine elements, railings, and household utensils like pots and coffee burners. Eventually, the business expanded to include other products, like steam boilers, which was an important product in those days. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

Initially, JMW mainly manufactured mouldings. At the end of the 1900s their shipbuilding production started and included 31 steamships, Motala Express among others. The picture shows the launching of the barge Maria, named after Maria Sandwall who was married to the founder of JMW and the then owner Frans Gustaf Sandwall. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

Initially, JMW mainly manufactured mouldings. At the end of the 1900s their shipbuilding production started and included 31 steamships, Motala Express among others. The picture shows the launching of the barge Maria, named after Maria Sandwall who was married to the founder of JMW and the then owner Frans Gustaf Sandwall. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

Employees at JMW 1893. At this time the company was one of the biggest manufacturing companies in Sweden. In the front row the founder and the then owner Frans Gustaf Sandwall is seen, wearing top hat and cane. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

Employees at JMW 1893. At this time the company was one of the biggest manufacturing companies in Sweden. In the front row the founder and the then owner Frans Gustaf Sandwall is seen, wearing top hat and cane. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

Drawing from the 1910s of the factory area which today is the university campus. The foundry, now the university library, is seen in the lower right corner. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

Drawing from the 1910s of the factory area which today is the university campus. The foundry, now the university library, is seen in the lower right corner. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

Picture from the mid-20th century. A JMW employee among products manufactured at JMW. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

Picture from the mid-20th century. A JMW employee among products manufactured at JMW. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

Interior picture from JMW’s foundry as it looked before the fire in the 1960s. At the renovation the cupola was removed and replaced with a lightweight concrete ceiling. The original roof truss is still there in the building which now houses the university library. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

Interior picture from JMW’s foundry as it looked before the fire in the 1960s. At the renovation the cupola was removed and replaced with a lightweight concrete ceiling. The original roof truss is still there in the building which now houses the university library. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

Moulding in the 1960s in the building that now houses the university library. Industrial production went on between 1859-1992. After that, most of the industrial buildings were pulled down in order to make place for the university. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

Moulding in the 1960s in the building that now houses the university library. Industrial production went on between 1859-1992. After that, most of the industrial buildings were pulled down in order to make place for the university. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

The crossing of Gjuterigatan and Kyrkogatan as it looked in the 1950s. Jönköping International Business School is now situated on the same spot as JMW’s office building, seen furthest away in the picture. The foundry building, which now houses the university library, is seen to the left. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

The crossing of Gjuterigatan and Kyrkogatan as it looked in the 1950s. Jönköping International Business School is now situated on the same spot as JMW’s office building, seen furthest away in the picture. The foundry building, which now houses the university library, is seen to the left. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

When the industrial era of JMW ended in 1992 and up to the time when the university started to be built, many premises were empty. A number of different art projects were held in the building that now houses the university library. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

When the industrial era of JMW ended in 1992 and up to the time when the university started to be built, many premises were empty. A number of different art projects were held in the building that now houses the university library. Photo from Jönköping county museum.

Content updated 2015-07-09






We use cookies on JU.se. By continuing to use this site you accept the use of cookies. More information