Given the many faculty members working as part of CeFEO and the heterogeneity of their research interests, it is no surprise that different research projects, leading to different publications, have been developed over time.
Below you can find links to scientific publications authored by CeFEO members. These reflect the breadth of the research at CeFEO while offering important scientific results in the areas of family business and/or ownership.
Selected publications (from 2016)
In bold are indicated CeFEO members:
- Almlöf, H., Sjögren, H. (in press). Owner-manager when death do us part - roles of a widow in sudden succession in family firms. External link, opens in new window. Journal of Family Business Management.
- Arregle, J., Chirico, F., Kano, L., Kundu, S., Majocchi, A., Schulze, W. (in press). Family firm internationalization: Past research and an agenda for the future External link, opens in new window.. Journal of International Business Studies.
- Banerjee, A., Nordqvist, M., Hellerstedt, K. (in press). The role of the board chair—A literature review and suggestions for future research. Corporate Governance: An International Review.
- Baù, M., Block, J., Discua Cruz, A., Naldi, L. (in press). Bridging locality and internationalization – A research agenda on the sustainable development of family firms. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development.
- Bauweraerts, J., Pongelli, C., Sciascia, S.(*), Mazzola, P., & Minichilli, A. (in press). Transforming entrepreneurial orientation into performance in family SMEs: Are nonfamily CEOs better than family CEOs? External link, opens in new window.. Journal of Small Business Management, 1-32.
- Brundin, E., Liu, F., & Cyron, T. (2021). Emotion in strategic management: A review and future research agenda. Long Range Planning, 102144.
- Criaco, G., Naldi, L., & Zahra, S. A. (in press). Founders’ Prior Shared International Experience, Time to First Foreign Market Entry, and New Venture Performance. Journal of Management.
- Eze, N., Nordqvist, M., Samara, G., Parada, M. (in press). Different Strokes for Different Folks: The Roles of Religion and Tradition for Transgenerational Entrepreneurship in Family Businesses. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice.
- Gillmore, E., Andersson, U., Ekman, P. (in press). The enduring effects of relational attributes on subsidiary evolution after mandate loss. Global Strategy Journal.
- Gómez-Mejia, L R., Chirico, F., Martin, G., Baù, M. (forthcoming). Best Among the Worst or Worst Among the Best? Socioemotional Wealth and Risk- Performance Returns for Family and Non-Family Firms Under Financial Distress. Entrepreneurship: Theory & Practice.
- Hashim, S., Naldi, L., Markowska, M. (in press). “The royal award goes to…”: Legitimacy processes for female-led family ventures. The Journal of Family Business Strategy.
- Kimjeon, J., & Davidsson, P. (in press). External enablers of entrepreneurship: A review and agenda for accumulation of strategically actionable knowledge External link, opens in new window.. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice.
- Lorenzo, D., Núñez-Cacho, P., Akhter, N., Chirico, F. (forthcoming). Why are some family firms not innovative? Innovation barriers and path dependence in family firms. Scandinavian Journal of Management.
- Maine, J., Florin-Samuelsson, E., Uman, T (in press). Ambidextrous sustainability, organisational structure and performance in hybrid organisations. Accounting, Accountability and Auditing Journal.
- Malki, B., Uman, T., Pittino, D. (in press). The entrepreneurial financing of the immigrant entrepreneurs: a literature review. Small Business Economics.
- Matz Carnes, C., Hitt, M.A., Sirmon, D.G., Chirico, F., Wook Huh, D., (in press). Leveraging Resources For Innovation: The Role Of Synchronization. Journal of Product Innovation Management.
- Naldi, L., Baù, M., Ahl, H., Markowska, M. (in press). Gender (in)equality within the household and business start-up among mothers. Small Business Economics.
- Naldi, L., Nilsson, P., Westlund, H., Wixe, S. (in press). Amenities and new firm formation in rural areas External link, opens in new window.. Rural Studies
- Patel, P., Lenka, S., Parida, V. (in press). Caste-Based Discrimination, Microfinance Credit Scores, and Microfinance Loan Approvals Among Females in India. Business & Society.
- Pittino, D., Visintin, F., Minichilli, A., & Compagno, C. (2021). Family involvement in governance and firm performance in industrial districts. The moderating role of the industry’s technological paradigm External link, opens in new window.. Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, 1-18.
- Querbach, S., Kammerlander, N., Singh, J., & Waldkirch, M.(*) (in press). Pragmatic learning in family SMEs: a qualitative study of functional overload among family SME owner-managers. Journal of Knowledge Management.
- Quigley, T., Chirico, F., Baù, M. (in press). Does the CEO effect on performance differ in private versus public firms? External link, opens in new window. Strategic Organization.
- Shen, W., Ponomareva, Y., Uman, T. (in press). Can you catch two birds with one stone? The impacts of nominating committee composition on board monitoring and resource provision. Long Range Planning.
- Smith, C., Nordqvist, M., De Massis, A., & Miller, D. (in press). When so much is at stake: Understanding organizational brinkmanship in family business. Journal of Family Business Strategy.
- Symeonidou, N., DeTienne, D. R., & Chirico, F. (in press). The persistence of family firms: How does performance threshold affect family firm exit? External link, opens in new window.. Small Business Economics.
- Waldkirch, M.(*), Bucher, E., Schou, P. K., & Grünwald, E. (in press). Controlled by the algorithm, coached by the crowd–how HRM activities take shape on digital work platforms in the gig economy External link, opens in new window.. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 1-36.
- Chirico, F., Welsh, D., Ireland, R., Sieger, P. (2021). Family versus non-family firm franchisors: Behavioral and performance differences. Journal of Management Studies, 58(1), 165-200.
- Criaco, G., van Oosterhout, J. H., & Nordqvist, M. (2021). Is blood always thicker than water? Family firm parents, kinship ties, and the survival of spawns. Journal of Business Venturing, 36(6), 106161.
- Ghosh, C., He, F., & Zhou, H. (2021). On the role of foreign directors: Evidence from cross-listed firms. Journal of Empirical Finance, 63, 177-202.
- Larrañeta, B., Naldi, L. (2021). Introduction to the Reflection Forum: Clouds in the business landscape—Reflections on the implications of major worldwide turmoil for management and organizations. BRQ Business Research Quarterly, 24(3), 194-198
- Ramirez-Pasillas, M., Lundberg, H., Nordqvist, M. (2021). Next generation external venturing practices in family owned businesses. Journal of Management Studies, 58(1), 63-103.
- Waldkirch, M.(*), Kammerlander, N., & Wiedeler, C. (2021). Configurations for corporate venture innovation: Investigating the role of the dominant coalition. Journal of Business Venturing, 36(5), 106137.
- Astrachan J., Binz-Astrachan C., Campopiano G., Baù, M. (2020). Values, Spirituality and Religion: Family Business and the Roots of Sustainable Ethical Behavior. Journal of Business Ethics, 163, 637–645.
- Barbera, F., Shi, H. X., Agarwal, A., & Edwards, M. (2020). The Family That Prays Together Stays Together: Toward a Process Model of Religious Value Transmission in Family Firms. Journal of Business Ethics, 163, 661–673.
- Baù, M., Pittino, D., Sieger, P., Eddleston, K.A. (2020). Careers in family business: New avenues for careers and family business research in the 21st century External link, opens in new window.. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 11(3), 100379.
- Chirico, F., Criaco, G., Baù, M., Naldi, L., Gomez-Mejia, L., Kotlar, J. (2020). To patent or not to patent: That is the question. Intellectual property protection in family firms. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice 44(2), 339-367.
- Chirico, F., Gómez-Mejia, L., Hellerstedt, K., Withers, M., Nordqvist, M. (2020). To merge, sell or liquidate? Socioemotional wealth, family control, and the choice of business exit. Journal of Management 46(8), 1342-1379.
- Lauto, G., Pittino, D., Visintin, F. (2020). Satisfaction of entrepreneurs: A comparison between founders and family business successors. Journal of Small Business Management 58(3), 474-510.
- Li, H., Terjesen, S., Uman, T. (2020). Corporate Governance in Entrepreneurial Firms: A Systematic Review and Research Agenda External link, opens in new window.. Small Business Economics, 54, 43-74.
- Markowska, M., Wiklund, J. (2020). Entrepreneurial learning under uncertainty: exploring the role of self-efficacy and perceived complexity. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 32(7-8), 606-628.
- Muñoz-Bullón, F., Sanchez-Bueno, M., Nordqvist, M. (2020). Growth intentions in family-based new venture teams: The role of the nascent entrepreneur’s R&D behavior. Management Decision 58(6), 1190-1209.
- Naldi, L., Criaco, G., Patel, P. (2020). Related and unrelated industry variety and the internationalization of start-ups. Research Policy 49(10).
- Naldi, L., Larsson, J., Westlund, H. (2020). Policy entrepreneurship and entrepreneurial orientation in vulnerable Swedish municipalities. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 32(7-8), 473-491.
- Netz, J., Svensson, M., Brundin, E. (2020). Business disruptions and affective reactions: A strategy-as-practice perspective on fast strategic decision making. Long range planning 53(5).
- Nordqvist, M., & Gartner, W. B. (2020). Literature, Fiction, and the Family Business. Family Business Review.33(2).
- Pittino, D., Chirico, F., Baù, M., Villasana, M., Naranjo-Priego, E., Barron, E. (2020). Starting a family business as a career option: The role of the family household in Mexico. Journal of Family Business Strategy 11(2).
- Pittino, D., Chirico, F., Henssen, B., Broekaert, W. (2020). Does increased generational involvement foster business growth? The moderating roles of family involvement in ownership and management. European Management Review 17(3), 785-801.
- Uman, T., Smith, E., Andersson, W., Planken, W. (2020). Top management teams’ shared leadership and ambidexterity: the role of management control systems External link, opens in new window.. International Review of Administrative Sciences, 86(3): 444-462.
- van Helvert-Beugels, J., Nordqvist, M., Flören, R. (2020). Managing tensions as paradox in CEO succession: The case of nonfamily CEO in a family firm. International Small Business Journal 38(3), 211-242.
- Zawadzki, M., Jałocha, B., Mazurkiewicz, G., Pluszyńska, A., Prawelska-Skrzypek, G. (2020). Unrooting management education and entrepreneurial self from neoliberal demands: An action research approach. Entrepreneurship Education and Pedagogy 3(3), 265-290.
- Balachandran, C., Wennberg, K., Uman, T. (2019). National culture diversity in new venture boards: The role of founders' relational demography. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal 13(3), 410-434.
- Bauweraerts, J., Sciascia, S., Mazzola, P., Naldi, L. (2019). Family CEO and board service: Turning the tide for export scope in family SMEs. International Business Review 28(5).
- Baù, M., Chirico, F., Pittino, D., Backman, M., Klaesson, J. (2019). Roots to grow: Family firms and local embeddedness in rural and urban contexts. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice 43(2), 360-385.
- Brunninge, O., Hartmann, B. (2019). Inventing a past: Corporate heritage as dialectical relationships of past and present. Marketing Theory 19(2), 229-234
- Dąbrowska, J., Lopez-Vega, H., Ritala, P. (2019). Waking the sleeping beauty: Swarovski’s open innovation journey. R&D Management 49(5), 775-788.
- Evansluong, Q., Ramirez-Pasillas, M. (2019). The role of family social capital in immigrants’ entrepreneurial opportunity creation processes. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business 36(1-2), 164-188.
- Evansluong, Q., Ramirez-Pasillas, M., Nguyen Bergström, H. (2019). From breaking-ice to breaking-out: Integration as an opportunity creation process. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour & Research25(5), 880-899.
- Iyer, D., Baù, M., Chirico, F., Patel, P., Brush, T. (2019). The triggers of local and distant search: Relative magnitude and persistence in explaining acquisition relatedness. Long Range Planning 52(5).
- Markowska, M., Grichnik, D., Brinckmann, J., Kapsa, D. (2019). Strategic orientations of nascent entrepreneurs: antecedents of prediction and risk orientation. Small Business Economics 53(4), 859-878.
- Patel, P. C., Criaco, G., & Naldi, L. (2018). Geographic diversification and the survival of born-globals. Journal of Management, 44(5), 2008-2036.
- Salvato, C., Chirico, F., Melin, L., Seidl, D. (2019). Coupling family business research with organization studies: Interpretations, issues, and insights. Organization Studies 40(6), 775-791.
- Sanchez-Famoso, V., Pittino, D., Chirico, F., Maseda, A., Iturralde, T. (2019). Social capital and innovation in family firms: The moderating roles of family control and generational involvement. Scandinavian Journal of Management 35(3).
- Wielsma, A., Brunninge, O. (2019). “Who am I? Who are we?”: Understanding the impact of family business identity on the development of individual and family identity in business families. Journal of Family Business Strategy 10(1), 38-48.
- Bjuggren, P., Nordström, L., Palmberg, J. (2018). Are female leaders more efficient in family firms than in non-family firms?. Corporate Governance. 18(2), 185-205
- Chirico, F., Salvato, C., Byrne, B., Akhter, N., & Arriaga Múzquiz, J. (2018). Commitment escalation to a failing family business. Journal of Small Business Management, 56(3), 494-512.
- Fitz-Koch, S., Nordqvist, M., Carter, S., & Hunter, E. (2018). Entrepreneurship in the agricultural sector: A literature review and future research opportunities. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 42(1), 129-166.
- Patel, P., Criaco, G., Naldi, L. (2018). Geographic diversification and the survival of born-globals. Journal of Management 44(5), 2008-2036
- Pittino, D., Visintin, F., & Lauto, G. (2018). Fly away from the nest? A configurational analysis of family embeddedness and individual attributes in the entrepreneurial entry decision by next-generation members. Family Business Review, 31(3), 271-294.
- Pittino, D., Martínez, A. B., Chirico, F., & Galván, R. S. (2018). Psychological ownership, knowledge sharing and entrepreneurial orientation in family firms: The moderating role of governance heterogeneity. Journal of Business Research, 84, 312-326.
- Waldkirch, M., Nordqvist, M., & Melin, L. (2018). CEO turnover in family firms: How social exchange relationships influence whether a non-family CEO stays or leaves. Human Resource Management Review, 28(1), 56-67.
- Achtenhagen, L., Brunninge, O., Melin, L. (2017). Patterns of dynamic growth in medium-sized companies: beyond the dichotomy of organic versus acquired growth. Long range planning, 50(4), 457-471.
- Baù, M., Sieger, P., Eddleston, K., Chirico, F. (2017). Fail but try again? The effects of age, gender, and multiple-owner experience on failed entrepreneurs’ reentry. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 41(6), 909-941.
- Boers, B., Ljungkvist, T., Brining, O., Nordqvist, M. (2017). Going private: A socioemotional wealth perspective on why family controlled companies decide to leave the stock-exchange. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 8(2), 74-86.
- Criaco, G., Sieger, P., Wennberg, K., Chirico, F., Minola, T. (2017). Parents' performance in entrepreneurship as a "double-edged sword" for the intergenerational transmission of entrepreneurship. Small Business Economics, 49(4), 841-864
- Fitz-Koch, S., Nordqvist, M. (2017). The Reciprocal Relationship of Innovation Capabilities and Socioemotional Wealth in a Family Firm. Journal of small business management, 55(4), 547-570
- Hoskisson, R., Chirico, F., Zyung, J., Gambeta, E. (2017). Managerial risk taking: A multi-theoretical review and future research agenda. Journal of Management, 43(1), 137-169.
- Visintin, F., Pittino, D., Minichilli, A. (2017). Financial performance and non‐family CEO turnover in private family firms under different conditions of ownership and governance. Corporate governance: An International Review, 25(5), 312-337
- Akhter, N., Sieger, P., Chirico, F. (2016). If we can't have it, then no one should: Shutting down versus selling in family business portfolios. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 10(4), 371-394.
- Blombäck, A., Brunninge, O. (2016). Identifying the Role of Heritage Communication: A Stakeholder-Function Framework. International Studies of Management and Organization, 46(4), 256-268.
- Brunninge, O., Melander, A. (2016). The dynamics of path dependence on the individual, organizational and the field levels: MoDo, the Kempe family and the Swedish pulp and paper industry 1873–1990. Management & Organizational History, 11(2), 189-210.
- Carnes, C., Chirico, F., Hitt, M., Huh, D., Pisano, V. (2016). Resource Orchestration for Innovation: Structuring and Bundling Resources in Growth- and Maturity-Stage Firms. Long Range Planning, 50(4), 472-486.
- Chirico, F., Salvato, C. (2016). Knowledge internalization and product development in family firms: When relational and affective factors matter. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 40(1), 201-229.
- De Massis, A., Kotlar, J., Frattini, F., Chrisman, J., Nordqvist, M. (2016). Family governance at work: Organizing for new product development in family SMEs. Family Business Review, 29(2), 189-213.
- Fletcher, D., Massis, A., Nordqvist, M. (2016). Qualitative research practices and family business scholarship: A review and future research agenda. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 7(1), 8-25.
- Haag, K., Sund, L. (2016). Divorce in the family business: unfolding the legal problems by learning from practice. Journal of Family Business Management, 6(1), 81-96.
- Minola, T., Criaco, G., Obschonka, M. (2016). Age, culture, and self-employment motivation. Small Business Economics, 46(2), 187-213.
- Nordqvist, M. (2016). Socio-symbolic ownership: extending the socio-emotional wealth perspective. Management Research, 14(3), 244-257.
- Pittino, D., Visintin, F., Lenger, T., Sternad, D. (2016). Are high performance work practices really necessary in family SMEs?: An analysis of the impact on employee retention. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 7(2), 75-89.
This list is updated through the Jönköping University Library digital database (DIVA).
Achtenhagen, L., Haag, K., Hultén, K., Lundgren, J. (2022). Torn between individual aspirations and the family legacy – individual career development in family firms. Career Development International
Brundin, E., Plate, M. (2022). The social sharing of emotions and threatened identities in family businesses: common challenges and women's disadvantages. In: R. N. Trevinyo-Rodríguez & M. Á. Gallo (Ed.), The power of inclusion in family business Emerald Group Publishing Limited
Melander, A., Müllern, T., Anderssson, D., Elgh, F., Löfving, M. (2022). Bridging the Knowledge Gap in Collaborative Research—in Dialogues We Trust. Systemic Practice and Action Research
Coad, A., Karlsson, J. (2022). A field guide for gazelle hunters: Small, old firms are unlikely to become high-growth firms. Journal of Business Venturing Insights
Lorenzo, D., Núñez-Cacho, P., Akhter, N., Chirico, F. (2022). Why are some family firms not innovative?: Innovation barriers and path dependence in family firms. Scandinavian Journal of Management 38(1),
Melander, A., Andersson, D., Elgh, F., Fjellstedt, F., Löfving, M. (2022). Implementing Hoshin Kanri: How to Manage Strategy Through Policy Deployment and Continuous Improvement. New York: Productivity Press
Jafari, H., Eslami, M., Paulraj, A. (2022). Postponement and logistics flexibility in retailing: The moderating role of logistics integration and demand uncertainty. International Journal of Production Economics
Hashim, S., Naldi, L., Markowska, M. (2021). Entrepreneurial Activity as a Source of Meaning in Life.
Hashim, S., Markowska, M. (2021). Entrepreneurial Activity as a Source of Meaning in Life. Academy of Management
Backman, M., Hagen, J., Kekezi, O., Naldi, L., Wallin, T. (2021). In the Eye of the Storm: Entrepreneurs and Well-Being During the COVID-19 Crisis. Entrepreneurship
All hits from DiVA (1332)