Basic Thermodynamics and Transport Phenomena, 3 credits
Grundläggande termodynamik och transportfenomen, 3 högskolepoäng
Course Syllabus for students Spring 2020
|Confirmed by:||Dean Dec 1, 2018
|Valid From:||Jan 1, 2019
|Education Cycle:||Basic level
|Main field of study:||Mechanical Engineering
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILO)
After completion of the course the student should:
Knowledge and understanding
- display knowledge of basic terms and concepts in thermodynamics
- display knowledge of thermodynamic laws
- display knowledge of the principles of heat transfer
Skills and abilities
- demonstrate the ability to calculate Gibb's free energy
- demonstrate the ability to calculate heat transfer (Fourier's Law, Newton's Law of Cooling, Stefan-
Boltzmanns Law, etc.)
Judgement and approach
- demonstrate ability to assess equilibrium criteria following mathematical calculations.
The course addresses basic theoretical knowledge in flow calculations, heat transfer and
thermodynamics related to manufacturing technology and casting.
The course contains the following elements:
- Definition of thermodynamic terms: enthalpy, entropy, Gibb's free energy and phase diagrams
- Thermodynamic laws
- Flow calculations theory: fluid flow, continuity equation, Bernoulli equation, lamellar and
- Heat transfer: heat conduction, heat convection and heat radiation.
Type of instruction
Lectures and exercises.
The teaching is normally conducted in Swedish, but can occasionally be in English.
General entry requirements and completed courses Manufacturing Technology, 6 credits and Multivariable Calculus 7.5 credits (or the equivalent).
Examination and grades
The course is graded 5,4,3 or Fail .
Registration of examination:
|Name of the Test||Value||Grading
Determines the final grade of the course, which is issued only when all course units have been passed.
The literature is preliminary until one month before the course starts
Compendium in Thermodynamics provided/sold by JTH.