Visa Requirements

Passport & Visa

All students should have a valid passport for the period of their study in Jönköping. If you need a visa depends on where you come from.  If you are intending to stay in Sweden for less than three months, you will need a visa if the country that issues your passport is on this list. You should also confirm possible visa requirements with the Swedish consulate or embassy responsible for your home country.

Resident Permit

EU/EEA countries

If you are a citizen of an EU/EEA country you have the right to reside in Sweden. The term “right to reside" means that an EU/EEA citizen is permitted to stay in Sweden for more than three months without a residence permit. Please note: As of 1 May, 2014, EU/EEA citizens who want to stay in Sweden for more than three months in order to work or study, no longer need to register their right of residence with the Swedish Migration Agency.

Nordic countries

Citizens from Nordic countries do not need a visa or residence permit to study in Sweden.

Other countries outside the EU

If you come from a country outside the EU and you are planning to study for longer than three months, you require a residence permit before arriving in Sweden. Permits are issued by the Swedish Migration Agency and the Agency has collected what you need to know before applying for a residence permit. Applications are to be made at a Swedish consulate or embassy.

When applying for a residence permit, you must prove to the Swedish Migration Agency that you will have a guaranteed sum of money at your disposal throughout the entire period of your studies. The amount, SEK 8,065 per month for ten months of the year, is set by the Migration Agency. For more information please visit the Swedish Migration Agency. You can read more about costs in our Tuition & Application fees section.

Please remember that you cannot apply for a residence permit unless you have been admitted to full time accredited university studies in Sweden. The application fee for a residence permit is SEK 1,000.

Summer Programme students

Please note that students from certain countries do not require a visa if the length of the stay in Sweden is less than 3 months. The lists of countries whose residents require a visa can be found at the Government Offices of Sweden.

Content updated 2018-02-01

Content updated 2010-11-15
We use cookies on By continuing to use this site you accept the use of cookies. More information