Researchers at Jönköping University can publish open access in SAGE's subscription-based journals without having to pay any APC's (Article Processing Charge), but also in their fully open access journals with a 20% discount.

This is made possible by the participation of Jönköping University in a Swedish national consortium agreement with SAGE. The agreement is valid for the period of 2020-2023.

Through the agreement, the article will be made freely available to everyone, including those who do not have access via subscription.

Which journals are covered by the agreement?

The agreement comprises almost 1,000 hybrid journals from SAGE.

Which journals have a 20% discount?

SAGE's fully open access journals have a 20% discount on the article processing charge (APC).

Which journals are not covered by the agreement?

The following journals are not covered by the agreement:

  • Abstracts in Anthropology
  • Advances in Dental Research
  • California Management Review
  • A Current Bibliography on African Affairs
  • Feminist Review
  • Handbook of Practice Management
  • Index on Censorship
  • InnovAiT
  • International Political Science
  • Abstracts/Documentation Politique Internationale
  • Journal of the Intensive Care Society
  • Pain News
  • Phi Delta Kappan

Who can use the agreement?

In order to use this service you have to be the corresponding author of the article and affiliated with Jönköping University.

Corresponding author is defined as the author that handles “all correspondence about the article and sign the publishing agreement on behalf of all the authors”.

What do I have to do?

  • When you, as a corresponding author, have had your article accepted, SAGE will send you an email in which you are asked to go to their manuscript management system, SAGE Open Access Portal (SOAP).
  • In SOAP, open access publishing of the article is the default option.
  • The default Creative Common license option is CC BY.

CC BY = BY stands for "attribution". Choosing CC BY means that you allow others to use, share, and modify your work, even in commercial contexts. Others who use your work in any way must give you credit. 

Read more about the Creative Commons licences External link, opens in new window..

SAGE open access journal discount

The agreement also includes a 20% discount for publishing in any of their over 170 fully open access journals. Please remember that the remaining 80% of the cost has to be financed in some other way. The library and Jönköping University have, at the present time, no open access funds for this.

Articles that have been accepted in any of these journals are initially not handled in their manuscript management system, SOAP. Before SAGE has solved this, in the second half of 2020, you can do as follows if you want to use the discount:

  • For journals that use RightsLink Author Portal, authors must enter the code "BIBSAM2020" in the "Discount code" field in the Portal.
  • For journals that do not use RightsLink, the author must contact and request the discount.
  • These articles will be published with a CC BY-NC license until SOAP can handle this type of articles. When it can, the author may ask the publisher for a different CC license.

CC BY-NC = NC stands for "Non-commercial". Choosing CC BY-NC means that you allow others to share the article but only in non-commercial contexts. Others who use your work in any way must give you credit.

Read more about the Creative Commons licences External link, opens in new window..