Before the exchange

Before the exchange

Once you have received confirmation of acceptance from the host university, you will have taken one of your biggest step towards a great adventure! Here you will find some practical information to pay attention to before the exchange.

Financing your studies

There are no tuition fees at the partner university for students going abroad through the exchange program as the tuition is waived through agreements.

Fees and Costs

Tuition fees are waived in the agreements but students must cover non-tuition costs (administration fees, applications fees, deposits, etc.), travel expenses, insurance, cost for student permit or student visa and living expenses (accommodation, food, etc.). It is the students’ responsibility to buy airplane tickets, make visa arrangements, organize their accommodation, ensure they have adequate medical insurance, etc. Please note that the costs may vary depending on the country and university.

CSN (Swedish Student Loan Agency) 

The information about students exchange semester is updated on Ladok and available for CSN (no CSN documents is required).

It is extremely important to apply for the whole year of study at the same time. This means that if you go abroad only one semester you must send in two applications to CSN, one for the study abroad and the regular one for your studies in Sweden.


A scholarship is a financial contribution which is given by foundations, associations, companies, banks and trade associations. These scholarships are generally tax-free, but can sometimes be counted as wages subject to conditions and may need to be taxed. Scholarships awarded for educational purposes, however, usually are free of tax.


Most of our partner universities will provide you with some help to find accommodation on-campus or off-campus. You will find information at the partner university's website or in the information package you received from your contact person at the partner university.

Visa and passport

Studying in an EU country

European citizens can study in the EU/EES countries without a visa. Students who do not hold a European passport should contact the Embassy or Consulate representing the country where you will study and verify if you will need a special visa or permit in order to study there. Most of the embassies also have a website where you can find the information.

Studing in a country outside of the EU 

You should contact the Embassy or Consulate representing the country where you will study and verify if you will need a special visa or permit in order to study there. Most of the embassies also have a website where you can find the information.

If a visa or permit is required it is YOUR responsibility to apply for it and cover the expenses that might be involved. Make sure to start this process EARLY since embassies need time to handle such matters.

Moreover you most certainly will need to supply various documents that will take some time to acquire such as letter of acceptance from your host university, proof of vaccination, AIDS-test in some cases, and proof of funding (from CSN or a bank).


Check that your passport is valid for the duration of your planned stay abroad. Some countries also require the passport to be valid for a number of months after your arrival home. Note that passports (or international ID cards) are also required for travel within the EU.


Health & liability insurance

Students are responsible to cover their own insurance and should do so prior to departure from Sweden. Make sure that you have adequate health and liability insurance while you are studying abroad as you will have no insurance through Jönköping University. Verify the conditions of your insurance and the amount that it covers.

If you are a European citizen and travel within Europe you generally are partly covered for health care within the EES agreement.

Some host universities may require you to purchase their own campus insurance. Make sure to verify the conditions of the insurance since it may not cover medical repatriation, which you may have to purchase separately.

If you are an international student going on exchange you may have to purchase an insurance in your home country.

Student Union

You do not need to pay for your student union fee at Jönköping  while you are abroad. However, you might have to pay for the student union fee at your host university.


During the exchange you will have the opportunity to practise your language skills. Your host university may require exchange students to present a certificate of documented language skills in the form of, for example, an upper-secondary school report or language test. 

Jönköping University takes no responsibility at all for a student selected for a certain English speaking university being denied acceptance at that university because the student has not passed the TOEFL or similar tests. It remains the responsibility of the student who has accepted a place abroad to do the TOEFL-test if it is required of him/her.

Before the exchange you can study language courses at an adult education association, university or higher education institution or take a intensive course in the country in which you are going to study. Some host universities arrange language courses at different levels for exchange students.


Students may also apply (outside of the exchange programme) for studies at universities other than partner universities. These students are called free movers. Free-movers must do all the work themselves in arranging this type of study abroad such as applying, researching, finding courses for accreditation and finding accommodation. Free-movers must always be prepared to pay full tuition and any other costs at the host university.

Students may be considered free-movers only when going abroad during their programme at Jönköping University. If, for any reasons students go abroad on their own after their studies, Jönköping University will have no responsibility of accrediting these students.

Different information for different schools at Jönköping University


Students who would like to study as a freemover abroad should always contact the study councellor for further information, well in advance.


More information about the processes before, during and after your exchange studies can be found in this checklistPDF.

Important information for international students

Information for international students regarding tuition fee at Jönköping University in connection with the exchange studies.