Chemical Thermodynamics 7,5 Credits
Course ContentsThe course includes:
- Basic theoretical knowledge in chemical thermodynamics, application of chemical thermodynamics and interfacial physical chemistry.
- Calculation of thermodynamic equilibrium (Gibbs energy, van't Hoff isotherm, Ellingham diagram)
- Calculation of activity and activity coefficient (Wagner's equation, Henrian and Raoultian standards, thermodynamic treatment of the solutions)
- Thermodynamic treatments of the surface/interface (Gibbs dividing surface, Guggenheim model, Nucleation) and interfacial phenomena in the high-temperature system.
- Thermodynamic treatments of the phase and phase diagram (Gibbs energy change, phase rule, etc.).
- Calculations using a thermodynamic calculation software and a multiphysics simulation software (Lab activities).
- Thermodynamics and sustainability (CO2 emission).
The course contains the following elements:
- Lectures on the advanced thermodynamics, i.e. chemical thermodynamics and thermodynamics of interface, and its application (some examples in the actual processes).
- Exercises on the chemical thermodynamic calculation.
- Laboratory sessions on chemical thermodynamics.
PrerequisitesPassed courses at least 90 credits within the major subject Mechanical Engineering, 15 credits Mathematics, and completed course in Materials and Manufacturing, 7,5 credits, proof of English proficiency is required (or the equivalent).
Level of Education: Master A1N
Course code/Ladok code: TCHR21
The course is conducted at: School of Engineering
Upcoming course occasions
Type of courseProgram
Number of required meetings0
SemesterAutumn 2021: Oct 25 - Jan 16
Rate of Study100%
Course coordinatorTaishi Matsushita
Tuition fees do NOT apply for EU/EEA citizens or exchange students18750kr