Non-linear Finite Element Analysis 6 Credits
Course ContentsThe course includes the following topics:
- Strong and weak formulations of a one-dimensional problem.
- Finite element formulations, (strong and weak formulations),
iso-parametric formulation, numerical integration.
- Linear elasticity, continuum mechanics, stress, strain, balance laws, Eulerian and Lagrangian formulations.
- Contact mechanics, Signorini’s contact conditions, trial and error approach, penalty
formulation, augmented Lagrangian formulation, Newton’s method, the
- Plasticity, associative plasticity, the principle of maximal dissipation, J2-plasticity,
radial return, isotropic hardening.
- Projects and tutorial using Matlab and Abaqus.
PrerequisitesThe applicant must hold the minimum of a bachelor’s degree (i.e the equivalent of 180 ECTS credits at an accredited university) with at least 90 credits in mechanical engineering, or equivalent. The bachelor’s degree should comprise a minimum of 21 credits in mathematics, including at least 6 credits in multivariate calculus. Proof of English proficiency is required.
Level of Education: Master
Course code/Ladok code: TOLR28
The course is conducted at: School of Engineering
Previous and ongoing course occasions
Type of courseProgram
SemesterAutumn 2019: Oct 21 - Jan 12
Rate of Study100%
Course coordinatorPeter Hansbo
Tuition fees do NOT apply for EU/EEA citizens or exchange students13998kr