Applications of Computational Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer 7,5 Credits
Course ContentsThe course treats fundamentals of CFD and heat transfer, and methodologies for solving a broad range of multi-disciplinary engineering problems in the context of manufacturing process and component design, via application of CFD and thermal simulation tools in design analysis. The effects of different fluid flow regimes and thermo-physical properties of materials are studied. The course includes simulation laboratory sessions (e.g. COMSOL, Flotherm) with experimental support, e.g. for model validation/input parameter generation.
The course includes the following elements:
- Steady state and transient heat transfer, heat transfer modes and thermal resistance network applications.
- Overview of Navier-Stokes equations, and numerical solution methods.
- CFD model validation and virtual prototyping methodology.
- Fluid flow in porous media, including local thermal non-equilibrium conditions, and applications.
- Flow and heat transfer simulation in the context of the methods, materials, and components for thermal management of automotive and telecom assemblies.
- Heat transfer models for heat treatment process design (e.g. annealing) of large metallic components.
- Simplified phase transformation models and their application to manufacturing processes, e.g. laser cladding.
- Applications of fluid flow and heat transfer models for polymer component manufacturing.
PrerequisitesPassed courses at least 90 credits within the major subject Mechanical Engineering, 15 credits Mathematics included multivariable calculus, Thermodynamics and completed course in Numerical Analysis, 7,5 credits and Polymer and Composite Technology, 7,5 credits, proof of English proficiency is required (or the equivalent).
Level of Education: Master
Course code/Ladok code: TTBS22
The course is conducted at: School of Engineering
Upcoming course occasions
Type of courseProgram
SemesterAutumn 2022: Aug 22 - Oct 23
Rate of Study100%
Course coordinatorIlia Belov
Tuition fees do NOT apply for EU/EEA citizens or exchange students18750kr