This program is designed for international students who want to improve their English language skills in combination with an introduction to the Swedish language and becoming acquainted with Scandinavian society and culture.
Pathway Year English provides knowledge about higher education and how to communicate in an academic environment. During the programme, students will have the opportunity to participate in group discussions, share their own experiences, develop critical thinking, research ethics, and gain a more profound knowledge of living conditions, social issues, and cultural features in different parts of the world.
Pathway Year English has a lower English level entry requirement (IELTS entry: 5.0 or equivalent *). It is ideal for students who need more time to reach their proficiency and communicate effectively in an academic environment.
After the programme
Upon completion of the programme you will have recieved:
- direct entry to a degree programme at Jönköping University
- the English language preparation in reading, writing, listening and speaking necessary for enrollment in degree programmes at Jönköping University
- support in adjusting to the demands, challenges and expectations of Swedish higher education
- acclimatization to Swedish culture making it easier to live and study in Sweden
- basic knowledge in the Swedish Language
In addition at the end of the pathway programme, you will receive a certificate of completion demonstrating skills equivalent to the Swedish high school course English 6. This is the most common English language level required for entering higher education in Sweden. You can read more about corresponding levels in other countries here.
Facts and requirements
How to apply
To learn more about our requirements and how to apply, click here.
JU Scholarship for Pathway Year
A limited number of JU Scholarships are offered on the basis of academic merit, with an emphasis on academic excellence. Students may apply for a scholarship to cover part of the tuition fee for the Pathway Year programme (either Pathway Year English or Pathway Year General). Read more about the JU Scholarship and apply for a scholarship here after placing your Pathway Year application.
During the first semester, students have two core courses and can choose one from the elective course option.
Students have two core courses in the second semester and can choose one course from the elective courses’ options.
- Pathway English 1
- Pathway English 2
- Pathway Life and Studies in Scandinavia 1
- Pathway Life and Studies in Scandinavia 2
- Students have the opportunity to study either Pathway Swedish 1 in Semester 1 followed by Pathway Swedish 2 in Semester 2, or alternatively Pathway Mathematics 1 during Semester 1, followed by Pathway Study Skills Intercultural competence and Advanced Literacies in Semester 2.
- Pathway Study Skills Intercultural competence and Advanced Literacies External link, opens in new window. 7.5 credits
- Pathway Mathematics 1
- Pathway Swedish 1
- Pathway Swedish 2
Chat with a Student Ambassador about life and studies
Hi I'm Thien and originally from Vietnam.
Currently I'm studying a Pathway Programme
at Jönköping University.
Fill out the form and our ambassador will get in
touch with you shortly to set up a call.