Third Edition, 2023
The IFERA Summer School 2023 on Family Business Research Methods will take place in May and June, 2023. The Summer School is structured with the format of a Doctoral Course organized by CeFEO and Jönköping International Business School.
A close collaboration between CeFEO and IFERA and the power of this combined network, allowed to involved an incredible number of family business scholars in the Summer School. Among the 46 scholars part of this journey, 8 CeFEO Faculty Members and 3 CeFEO Affiliated Members.
The members of the Organizing Team are:
- Massimo Baù, Director of the Summer School and Course Examiner
- Josh Hsueh, Corse Coordinator
- Mara Brumana, Course Coordinator
- Sabrina Schell, Course Coordinator
- Mattias Walkirch, Coordinator of the Shark Tank
- Valentina Re, IFERA Executive Director
Some of the top scholar in the field introduced the doctoral students to the most relevant and challenging topics of family business research methods. The course consists in 15 sessions:
- Introduction – Massimo Baù
- Research problem – Alfredo De Massis
- Meeting the tutors – Sabrina Shell, Mara Brumana, & Tutors
- Research Philosophy – Markus Plate & Massimo Baù
- Literature Review – Emanuela Rondi & Giovanna Campopiano
- Qualitative data collection – Nadine Kammerlander
- Experiment – Josh Hsueh & Max Lude
- Quantitative data collection – Cristina Cruz & Lucia Naldi
- Qualitative data analysis – Josip Kotlar
- QCA – Ryan Rumble & Daniel Pittino
- Quantitative data analysis – Francesco Chirico & Massimo Baù
- Research dissemination – Joseph Astrachan & Torsten Pieper
- Shark tank semi-finals – Matthias Waldkirch & Judges
- Wrap up – Massimo Baù & Josh Hsueh
- Shark tank finals – Matthias Waldkirch & Judges
Each Doctoral Student is accompanied in the process by a Tutor. Tutors can provide insight into their own career development and share tips and tricks. They can also can assist in getting best involved in the family business research community and identify opportunities.
They help with Shark Tank preparation and provide general tips on writing a dissertation and building an academic career.
Shark Tank Judges
Doctoral students are invited to slip into the role of a researcher entrepreneur and receive intellectual funding for their idea! A good research pitch works in many ways like an entrepreneurial idea: spot an opportunity, orchestrate resources, convince the target audience, and put the idea into practice. As the last part of the Summer School, Doctoral Students pitch their ideas in a Shark Tank and compete for the final award.