Registering for a Swedish personal number

This information is for international students at JU. If you intend to live in Sweden for one year or more you should generally be registered in the Swedish Population Register. When you have been registered you will receive a Swedish personal number, which gives you access to various government and banking services and more.

The Swedish Population Register stores information about those living in Sweden, including, among other things, addresses and family relationships.

In order to become registered, you fill out and print this form External link, opens in new window.. You will then need to book an appointment External link, opens in new window. to hand in the form at the Government Service Centre at Barnarpsgatan 62, Jönköping. Appointments will be available from 24 August - 8 September. If you cannot access a printer at the university, it is possible to print the form at the Government Service Centre, provided that you have online access to it.

You will need to bring some additional documents when submitting your application:

  • Passport (or national ID card for EU and EEA citizens).
  • Letter of admission for three or more semesters.
  • Documents showing your civil status, e.g., marriage certificate. You do not need to show any documents regarding your civil status if you are unmarried.
  • Birth certificates for your children, if you have any.

EU and EEA citizens will also need to bring the following documents:

  • Proof of enrolment, to show that you are registered for your study programme.
  • European Health Insurance Card, or another document showing that you have a comprehensive health insurance valid for residence in Sweden.

Non-EU/EEA citizens will also need to bring:

  • A Swedish residence permit card.

More information for EU and EEA citizens External link, opens in new window..

More information for non-EU/EEA citizens External link, opens in new window..

Cookie settings