The employee and the employer are responsible for different steps in the process of applying to the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket) for a residence permit for visiting researchers.

If you are the citizen of a non-EU/EEA country and want to be a visiting researcher, you need to obtain a residence permit. You do not need a permit to work for less than 90 days. However, citizens of certain countries need a visa to travel to Sweden. In order to obtain a residence permit, you must

  • have a valid passport
  • have a hosting agreement with a research principal that has been approved by the Swedish Research Council.

You can apply for residence permit online. You cannot enter Sweden until the permit has been granted.

Read more on how to apply for a residence permit on the website of to the Swedish Migration Agency: Residence permits for visiting researchers External link, opens in new window.