Development Economics 7,5 hpUndervisningen bedrivs på engelska.
KursinnehållThe objective of this course is to provide students with a basic understanding of 1)why standars of living are much higher today than they were 50, 100, 200 years ago 2) what account(s) for the differences in standards of living and growth across the globe and 3) what can be done to increase the pace of development in the less developed parts of the world. The course starts with the concepts of development, an overview of the relative characteristics of developing countries, and how these characteristics tend to re-enforce the persistence of under-development. This is followed by an introduction to the mainstream theories of economic development. These theories are discussed and evaluated with respect to their plausibility of the underlying assumptions and the empirical evidence. How the interaction between institutions, law, finance and entrepreneurship contributes to the wealth of individuals and nations is discussed at length.
Important elements of the course are:
- characteristics of underdeveloped nations and the underdevelopment trap;
- quantitative measures and cross country comparative analysis of development
- an introduction to the development as economic growth, including Solow's Exogenous Growth Model, Romer's Endogenous Growth Model and evolutionary economics.
- an introduction to institutional economics and underdevelopment,
- the role of globalization in economic development
FörkunskapskravGeneral entry requirements and 15 credits in Business Administration or Economics and Macroeconomic 7,5 credits at G1N level and Microeconomics 7.5 credits at G1N level.
Kursen ges vid: Jönköping International Business School
Tidigare och pågående kurstillfällen
Typ av KursProgramkurs
TerminVåren 2021: vecka 13 - vecka 22
Gäller enbart studenter utanför EU/EES/Schweiz: Studieavgift12500kr
Senast ändrad 2021-02-16 11:22:23