Sidan uppdaterad 2019-03-13

Visa and passport

Studying in an EU country

European citizens can study in the EU/EES countries without a visa. Students who do not hold a European passport should contact the Embassy or Consulate representing the country where you will study and verify if you will need a special visa or permit in order to study there. Most of the embassies also have a website where you can find the information.

Studying in a country outside of the EU

Contact the relevant Embassy or Consulate to confirm if you need a particular visa or permit for your study abroad. Most embassies have websites with the necessary information.

If a visa or permit is required, apply for it as soon as possible, as embassies need time to process it.

Also, make sure to have the necessary documents, such as an acceptance letter from your host university, vaccination proof, AIDS test if required, and proof of funding (from CSN or a bank).


Check that your passport is valid for the duration of your planned stay abroad. Some countries also require the passport to be valid for a number of months after your arrival home. Note that passports (or international ID cards) are also required for travel within the EU.