This information is also for students admitted to Pathway Summer + degree programme

If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU and you are planning to study for longer than three months, you must have a residence permit. The permit must have been issued before you can travel to Sweden. Follow the instructions for how to apply for a residence permit on the Swedish Migration Agency’s website External link, opens in new window. or contact the closest Swedish Embassy or Swedish Consulate (

Please remember that you cannot apply for a residence permit unless you have been admitted to full time accredited university studies in Sweden and paid the tuition fee. The application fee for a residence permit can be found on the Migration Agency website External link, opens in new window..

You will need the following when you apply for a residence permit:

  • Your Letter of Acceptance
  • Proof of emergency insurance (page 2 of your Letter of Acceptance)
  • Proof of extra health insurance (if you are admitted to a one-year master programme)
  • A valid passport
  • A personal bank statement in English, showing that you have enough funds to support yourself for the duration of the permit period you apply for.

During the period October 16, 2019 to October 16, 2022, a pilot project in cooperation between the Swedish Migration Agency and Jönköping University enables all multi-year degree programme students to apply for a two-year residence permit.

To be eligible for a two-year residence permit, all conditions, including the student’s ability to support themselves, must be met for the duration of the permit period applied for.

The current maintenance requirement can be found on the Migration Agency’s website for studying in Sweden External link, opens in new window..

To facilitate the processing of your residence permit application, please note that the contact information at Jönköping University to be given to the Migration Agency is:

Admissions Office
Jönköping University
P.O. Box 1026, 551 11 Jönköping, Sweden

The name of an individual contact person at Jönköping University is NOT necessary or required.