This information is for students admitted to a bachelor or master programme

If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU and you are planning to study for longer than three months, you must have a residence permit. The permit must have been issued before you can travel to Sweden. Follow the instructions for how to apply for a residence permit on the Swedish Migration Agency’s website External link, opens in new window. or contact the closest Swedish Embassy or Swedish Consulate External link, opens in new window..

Please remember that you cannot apply for a residence permit unless you have been admitted to full time accredited university studies in Sweden and paid the tuition fee. The application fee for a residence permit can be found on the Swedish Migration Agency’s website External link, opens in new window..

You will need the following documents when you apply for a residence permit:

  • Your Letter of Acceptance (you will not receive a new letter after payment of tuition fee)
  • Proof of emergency insurance (your Letter of Acceptance) See the information at Opens in new window.
  • Proof of extra health insurance, optional (for non-emergency events and pre-existing conditions, especially if admitted to a one-year programme)
  • A passport valid for the duration of the studies in Sweden or the duration of the residence permit dates.
  • A bank statement in your name in English with the currency clearly stated, showing that you have enough funds to support yourself for the duration of the permit period you apply for.

Please note that you can submit your application for residence permit (for study) 4 months before the date you set as the permit start date. You can apply for a permit that starts August 1 even if the studies start a few weeks later. In that case, you can apply for a residence permit on April 1 at the earliest (if you have paid the tuition fee).

The current maintenance requirement can be found on the Swedish Migration Agency’s website External link, opens in new window., about half-way down on the page.


Tips for filling out the residence permit application

Choose Jönköping University from the list of "University or college of higher education" in the online residence application form and the address will be automatically updated.

Jönköping University
Box 1026, 551 11 Jönköping, Sweden

Contact information (the next step in the permit application):

Name: Admissions Office

The name of an individual contact person at Jönköping University is NOT necessary or required.

How Swedish Migration Agency processes applications

Picture from