Content updated 2019-03-13


Here you will find frequently asked questions before applying for exchange studies and what the answer is. If your question is not answered here, please contact us through the button to the right.

What is a student exchange?

Exchange studies means that you, as a student at Jönköping University, have the opportunity to study one or two semesters, without paying tuition fee, at one of Jönköping University´s partner universities. The partnerships are based on agreements and balance between incoming and outgoing students.

Who can apply?

See eligibility on the student web.

Do I need to be a Swedish Citizen to go on exchange?

No. All students at Jönköping University are invited to apply. You may however need to arrange documentation (such as insurance and visas) via your home country.

Do I need to be a full-time student?

Yes, to participate in the exchange program with partner universities requires that you be a full-time student.

What language skills do I need?

In order to study abroad you will need good language skills in English or in the main language used if it is not English. Most of our partners do not require a language test, however some partner universities require that you show proof of good English skills by completing an approved language test. Examples of the language test is the TOEFL or IELTS. In Intapps you can find information about each partner university and what is required.
If you go on exchange within the Erasmus+ programme you need to conduct a mandatory online language test before leaving. This test is a guide and will not affect your possibilities to be admitted at the partner university.

When can I go?

See Eligibility on the student web. The opportunity to study abroad varies between programmes.

Where can I go?

Jönköping University has exchange agreements with many partner universities all around the world which provides great opportunities. Depending on which programme you study, different options are available. To find out more, read through the section "Information about JU partner universities".

What partner university should I choose?

The choice of partner universities needs to be considered carefully. Think about what the goal is with your stay abroad and what outcome you want. Consider how study abroad fits your education, future careers and personal interests. Which part of the world is more important for your programme and career?

What do I need to consider before choosing partner university?

Always check the course offerings at the partner university's website before applying in MOA. It is important that there are courses within your fields and that these are covered within the agreement. Some agreements are limited, see INTAPPS for information. Search for information.

What is Intapps?

Intapps is a database used by JU which contains information about partner universities, application for exchange studies and also the system used for course approval and accreditation.

What does it cost to go on exchange?

If you go through one of Jönköping University's exchange agreements, you do not pay any tuition fee at the partner university but other fees might be required to be paid by the student. Other costs such as those related to travel, insurance, study material, literature and living costs must also be paid by the student. More information for international fee paying students at Jönköping University.


The International Relations Office is located on the 1st floor of the Students' House.