Business Planning and Entrepreneurship, 7.5 credits
Affärsplanering och entreprenörskap, 7,5 högskolepoäng
Course Syllabus for students Spring 2019
|Confirmed by:||Dean Dec 4, 2018
|Valid From:||Jan 1, 2019
|Education Cycle:||Basic level
|Disciplinary domain:||Social sciences (75%) and technology (25%)
|Main field of study:||Industrial Engineering and Management
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILO)
After completing the course, the student shall
Knowledge and understanding
- demonstrate comprehension of basic concepts and principles in business planning, entrepreneurship, international business, marketing and sustainable development
- display knowledge of how different ideas can be developed into a business, and understand the various factors that influence the process of starting new businesses
- display knowledge of the role of the business plan for gaining venture capital
- demonstrate comprehension of the role of entrepreneurship at several different and connected levels; the individual, the organizational and the societal
Skills and abilities
- demonstrate the ability to establish basic business calculations
- demonstrate the ability to develop and present a business idea and business plan, considering issues such as sustainability and internationalization, both individually and as part of an entrepreneurial project team
- demonstrate the ability to develop important entrepreneurial abilities such as sense of responsibility, entrepreneurial drive, problem-solving and communication skills, creativity, selfinitiative and teamwork
Judgement and approach
- demonstrate the ability to evaluate basic business calculations
- demonstrate an understanding of the meaning of international business and sustainable development, and their consequences and opportunities when developing a new business.
The course provides basic knowledge in business planning, entrepreneurship and marketing.
The course includes the following elements:
- Entrepreneurship as theoretical concept
- Entrepreneurship as part of society
- Entrepreneurial processes, philosophy and activities
- Links to adjacent concepts: innovation, progress and creativity
- The role of business planning in a company
- Business establishment process
- Development of a business plan
- Creating vision, mission and business idea
- Product, investment, and profitability calculation
- Different perspectives on entrepreneurship in new and established companies
- Sustainable development
- International business
Type of instruction
Instruction consists of lectures, seminars and group project assignments.
The teaching is conducted in English.
General entry requirements and Mathematics 2a or 2b or 2c and English 6. Or: Mathematics B and English B in the Swedish upper secondary school system or international equivalent
Examination and grades
The course is graded 5,4,3 or Fail .
The final grade for the course is based upon a balanced set of the assessments Examination and Project. The final grade will only be issued after satisfactory completion of all assessment.
Registration of examination:
|Name of the Test||Value||Grading
|Seminars and Assignments||2 credits||U/G
The literature list for the course will be provided one month before the course starts.
Barringer et al, Entrepreneurship – successfully launching new ventures, 6th edition
ISBN: 97 81 29 22 55 33 0