Component Casting, 6 credits
Komponentgjutning, 6 högskolepoäng
Course Syllabus for students Autumn 2018
|Confirmed by:||Dean Feb 1, 2017
|Valid From:||Autumn 2017
|Reg number:||JTH 2017/564-313
|Education Cycle:||Basic level
|Disciplinary domain:||Technology (95%) and social sciences (5%)
|Main field of study:||Product Development
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILO)
On completion of the course, the student should
Knowledge and understanding
- Have knowledge of and be able to explain how different casting processes and equipment work
- Have a detailed knowledge of the molded material microstructure
- Have a good understanding of shape and form materials
- Have a basic understanding of design and defects in casting
Skills and abilities
- Be able to explain and analyze how different the cast components are manufactured and how
material properties depend on manufacturing process
- Be able to formulate heat balances for molds and setting materials
- Be able to calculate the mold filling
- Apply heat balances for mathematical relationship between heat flow and microstructure
Judgement and approach
- Be able to compare and select the appropriate alloy / materials, proper design / design and
casting process to get the right properties
- Be able to evaluate different solutions through process simulation
The course aims to give the student basic knowledge and deepening of component production of the casting of metallic materials, including design, material properties and manufacturing processes. In each step, a scientific approach to technology both in terms of systematic approaches and mathematical language to be able to analyze and evaluate process solutions and the problems that are associated.
The course includes the following topics:
- Manufacturing of components by casting.
- Applications of heat transfer, including conduction, convection, radiation to calculate the solidification and feeding.
- Applications of fluid flow, Bernoulli's equation, the continuity equation, lamellar and turbulent flow
- Cast materials, solidification and microstructure and properties. Phase diagrams. The relation casting process, microstructure and properties of cast alloys. Sheingkage and gas porosity.
- Design for casting and cast materials
- Introduction to computer simulation of the casting process. The integration of CAD / CAM
Type of instruction
Lectures, labs and assignments. Teaching can be done both on campus as well as distance learning.
The teaching is conducted in English.
General entry requirements and completed courses Engineering Material, 6 credits and Manufacturing Technology, 9 credits (or the equivalent).
Examination and grades
The course is graded 5,4,3 or Fail .
The final grade will only be issued after satisfactory completion of all assessments.
Registration of examination:
|Name of the Test||Value||Grading
|Laboratory work and Assignments||3 credits||U/G
Determines the final grade of the course, which is issued only when all course units have been passed.
The literature list for the course will be provided one month before the course starts.
Component Casting with Simulation, School of Engineering, Jönköping och Webbased material.
Complementary texts: J., Campbell, “Complete Casting Handbook”, D. M. Stefanescu, “Science and Engineering
of Casting Solidification”, H. Fredriksson & U., Åkerlind, “Materials Processing During Casting