Luminaire Design, 9 credits
Armaturdesign, 9 högskolepoäng
Course Syllabus for students Autumn 2019
|Confirmed by:||Dean Jun 1, 2019
|Valid From:||Aug 1, 2019
|Education Cycle:||Basic level
|Main field of study:||Product Development
Intended Learning Outcomes (ILO)
After completing the course, the student shall:
Knowledge and understanding
- show familiarity with the design of luminaires, both historical and contemporary
- demonstrate comprehension of product design and the design process
- display knowledge of luminaire construction and light distribution, with a sustainable approach
- demonstrate comprehension of the influences of different luminaire accessories
Skills and abilities
- demonstrate the ability to communicate conceptual ideas for a product design with hand-sketches, computer generated images, texts and oral presentations
- demonstrate skills in designing a luminaire for a specific application
Judgement and approach
- demonstrate the ability to observe, describe, compare and analyse existing luminaires
- demonstrate the ability to evaluate the need of a specific luminaire for a specific function, including all or some of its features
- demonstrate the ability to analyse luminaires from a sustainable perspective
This course is meant to offer the students a chance to deepen their knowledge and knowhow in luminaire design and to get familiar with the functional and aesthetical aspects of product design. It also provides an opportunity for the students to refine their sketching and communication skills.
The course includes the following elements:
- Theory and techniques of product design including concept, object assembly, structure, weight distribution, colors and materials
- History of luminaires
- Luminaire applications
- Luminaire design and function
- Assembly, structure and material of luminaires
- Hand sketching and computer generated images
- Presentation and communication related to luminaire design
Type of instruction
Lectures, seminars, workshops and study visits
The teaching is conducted in English.
General entry requirements and completed courses 60 credits in first cycle, including Basics in Light Source and Luminaire Proficiency 6 credits and Create with Light 12 credits as well as project experience (or the equivalent).
Examination and grades
The course is graded Fail (U) or Pass (G).
Registration of examination:
|Name of the Test||Value||Grading
|Project work||9 credits||U/G
The literature list for the course will be provided one month before the course starts.
HENRY, K. 2012. Drawing for Product Designers, London, United Kingdom, Laurence King
MILTON, A. & RODGERS, P. 2013. Research methods for product design, London, United
Kingdom, Laurence King Publishing.
WÄNSTRÖM LINDH, U. 2018. Ljusdesign och rumsgestaltning, Lund, Studentlitteratur.
English speaking students can replace Ljusdesign och rumsgestaltning with:
WANSTROM LINDH, U. 2012. Light Shapes Spaces: Experiences of Distribution of Light and
Visual Spatial Boundaries. PhD Dissertation, University of Gothenburg, Art Monitor.
(Free articles and reference literature will be added during the course).